Insurance for Occupational Therapists in Australia

Protecting your profession from risks

Insurance for Occupational Therapists

With the regular care you provide to the injured or disabled, an occupational therapy practitioner is open to medical malpractice / professional indemnity claims of professional negligence. This can have consequences on both your career and financial situation.

Even though having medical malpractice/ professional indemnity insurance can help you, there are more business insurances that will help you be protected.

What insurances are for occupational therapists?

It is important for you to have the right amount of coverage for unexpected accidents or occurrences. As occupational therapists, here are the main insurance policies that you need in your insurance package:

Medical Malpractice/ Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional indemnity cover is also known as malpractice insurance. Professional indemnity insurance arrangements help you cover expenses for claims made against you by your clients, should they find your service unprofessional. You need professional indemnity to cover for claims against breach of duty, professional misconduct, and mistakes or omissions claims.

Public Liability Insurance

Whether in a big or small business, public liability insurance is a must. Public liability insurance will cover you from any claims made by a member of the public because of third party injury or property damage within your premises during occupational therapy activities.

Product Liability Insurance

If you are an occupational therapy practitioner who manufactures or sells your own therapy products, it is best to have product liability insurance policy cover as consumers may file claims against product authenticity.

What options does Sparrow Insurance have for added protection?

If you use occupational therapy tools and equipment, employ people under you, and your clinic is located in an accident- or disaster-prone area, you should consider adding more to your coverage. Here are other insurances that you and other occupational therapy business owners in Australia need for added protection and peace of mind.

Management Liability

is specifically for private companies and covers claims of wrongful management, employment practice breaches (wrongful dismissal or discrimination actions), crime (theft by employees or third parties), tax audit and statutory fines and penalties.

Business Insurance

This protects your business, covering equipment and property damage from accidents, losses due to theft, fire, glass but not limited to. You may also want to consider Business interruption as cover for the potential loss of income, under certain sections of the business policy.

Tax Audit Insurance

Whether you run a small or large business or work as a contractor. This insurance will cover your business for tax auditing by the ATO.

Cyber Insurance

If you maintain a website or a digital record of your customers’ personal information, especially online, you are at risk of a data breach. This policy may cover you from data theft.

Workers Compensation

Workers’ compensation is vital to help cover costs related to an injured employee during business hours.

Personal Accident and Illness Insurance

This insurance is for every individual who is taking the time to recover from an injury or illness and unable to work.

Why do occupational therapists need insurance?

While the main reason for any insurance is to safeguard you against the risks involved, occupational therapists must take these reasons into consideration.

Get in touch with Sparrow Insurance by calling or visiting our website to begin your insurance.


Do I still need insurance even if I do my practice at home?

Yes, as claims of professional negligence on your part can still be applied.

Am I covered if I conduct home visits for treatment?

The policy can extend to those visits.